Monday, June 18, 2007

Holy Priest PVP wtfux?

So I finally finshed leveling my priest alt last weekend. When it comes to WoW, it's not that I don't have a lot of time to play, because I probably log ~20 hours a week or so, it's that at any moment I may be forced to drop what I'm doing and walk away from the computer. My girlfriend is pretty forgiving of my nerdly addictions but she doesn't like to be kept waiting because of WoW. This has made it virtually impossible for me to participate in the PVE side of the game. I can never make a 3 hour commitment because I will most likely be pulled away from the computer during that time, and my girlfriend doesn't care if I'm right in the middle of tanking a boss fight. I'm actually ok with this, because the primary reason I play the game is for PVP, and you can now gear yourself up pretty well exclusively through PVP. Basically, I leveled my priest by playing in the morning before work while I ate breakfast, almost the whole thing was rested and I think it took me around 10 days played to get to 70. Not breaking records by any means but as shadow it was pretty painless. I took all the gold he had on him at 70 (Around 1K) and gave it to my main. Epic flying mount pls.

After PVPing with a warrior for 2+ years you really appreciate the value of a good healer. Since no one I play with seemed to interested in rolling a healing class I figured I would make a priest. Ever since I leveled my main back in 2004-2005 with my priest friend JBlaze I've had a soft spot for the priest class, and he was definitely my inspiration for starting the character. Even though I knew at the time that the horde was getting pallies, I couldn't wait until TBC to start leveling my alt. Plus, this was before the Prayer of Mending nerf so priests at the time were looking pretty strong as PVP healers. As soon as I hit 70 I specced 28/33, which is the pretty standard holy/disc build for PVP priests.

I deviate from most specs in a few areas, most notably taking 3/5 holy spec instead of improved healing and taking 3/3 absolution instead of meditation. The jury is still out on the the absolution decision, but in fights where I'm casting a lot of dispel magic and mass dispel (mage/lock, pally/lock, pally/war) I'm sure that I'm at least breaking even mana wise. Also, .5 second mass dispel is hot and my 2v2 team is already clowning pallies with it.

Right now, my gear is total ass, pretty much the absolute worst you can get. I had my brother make me some imbued netherweave stuff, but aside from that it's pretty much all physician stuff with a couple of random pieces. In arena as a priest, I'm going to be stacking resilience and stamina, with int coming in a close 3rd. Right now, buffed, I have 8700hp and 0 resilience. Clearly this is unacceptable. So I've been in BGs and started an arena team and after Tuesday's patch I should have enought for the honor gloves + shoulders and about 600 arena points. Not much but it's a start. I want to pick up a Halaa piece or two but as a holy priest I can't PVP solo and it can be a real pain in the ass to find the right balance between horde and alliance that actually makes that place work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home