Thursday, June 21, 2007

Holy/Disc talent choices

If you're not a shadow priest and you PVP, chances are that you're specced 28/33 for Blessed Resilience. Some people favor a Disc build, and I've heard people say that it's a very viable 2v2 spec but currently it looks like the dispel resistance on PS is broken, and you're still looking at only 8 seconds of damage reduction whereas BR will proc several times over the course of a fight. It's really been Blizzard's style over the years to implement some half assed fix to a broken ability and then not even get the code right. As a programmer I sympathize with them but ffs they're supposed to be professionals. How does shit like that even make it into a patch?

Even if PS was fixed, I still don't think that heavy disc will be considered the PVP survivability build. I've always looked at heavy disc as the lolsmite build with some added survivability. I personally am interested in healing and not doing damage so many of the high end disc talents don't appeal to me.

So even though most non-shadow arena priests spec 28/33 there's a lot of disparity between the filler points that you just don't have with the warrior class. Warrior PVP builds are called "cookie-cutter" for a reason. You tell me what someone is specced and I can probably rattle off every one of their talents with only variation coming in the first 10 points in fury, or possibly how many points they put into 2h spec. On my way to 70 as a priest I looked at a lot of 28/33 builds from top arena priests. Some of their decisions I understood, and some left me scratching my head.

My current spec is: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bxMru0gLMZfAth0MoV0h

The major way in which my spec deviates from most builds is that I chose Absolution over Meditation. I am probably going to spec into meditation next time I get on, so lets look at some of the numbers. Assuming a passive regen from spirit of 70 mana per tick, over a 2 minute fight Meditation would net me somewhere in the area of 660 mana (60 ticks of 11 mana). If I specced into Meditation it would probably make sense to throw a point into DS for the boost to regen, but sitting here at work I don't know what kind of increase that would give. Dispel Magic costs around 270 mana (I think) and Mass Dispel is up around 900 (I think). This means that absolution saves 40 and 135 mana on both spells respectively. Assuming no Mass Dispels are cast in a fight I would have to cast 16 dispel magics to break even. I'm prepared to say that in most 2v2 fights I don't cast 16 dispel magics. Even with a Mass Dispel thrown in it's still 13 dispel magics to break even. Yea, I'm pretty sure I'll be dropping Absolution later today.

The other major way that my spec deviates from the norm is that I don't pick up Improved Healing. Instead, I opt for three points in Holy Specialization. Improved healing will save you about 130 mana on a GHeal cast. I would say that at most, I cast 2 or 3 greater heals in a given fight, and some fights I don't cast it at all. I cast Flash Heal much more frequently, and therefore I feel that the extra 3% crit on both flash and gheal is worth more to me than _possibly_ saving 300 mana.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home