Thursday, July 05, 2007

Welcome to The Leftorium.

I am a keybind type of person. I never understood why anyone who is concerned about PVP would click skills and keyboard turn. It actually makes me a little queasy when I see someone keyboard turning. Ever since the very first day I played WoW I have strived to improve my interface to maximize my ability to perform actions quickly.

I am cursed with left-handedness. I actually think being left handed is kind of cool, but let's face it, the world is not built to cater to our needs. Most left handed people that I know play video games like a right handed person. What I mean by this is that they hold the mouse in their right hand and use aswd for movement. For whatever reason, I have always used the mouse in my left hand and this poses an interesting challenge when it comes to PC games. Like I said, the world is not designed with left handed people in mind, and this holds true for computer keyboards. Due to the layout of your average qwerty keyboard, it really isn't comfortable or intuitive to use the mouse in your left hand and use the aswd and surrounding keys to play a game. I've been playing PC games for a while and have always used the number pad and the surrounding keys as an alternative. WoW has been no different and this is where I run into a problem.

Every class in WoW has a ton of skills. Due to the fact that I use the number pad, arrow keys, and the insert, home, ect. I run out of buttons pretty quickly. I am constantly weighing the value of a skill to try and determine which key makes the most sense and also if it deserves a key at all. For instance, on my warrior, retaliation is not bound to a key because I honestly don't remember the last time I used retaliation. I could go on and on about my struggle to find the perfect key layout, and I've toyed with the idea of getting a Fang but with so much muscle memory built into my current configuration I'm loathe to change it.

I have my mount/dismount button bound to ctrl-left arrow. This is pretty easy for me to mash and has worked well for me going on 2 1/2 years now. This was all great until I got a flying mount. Now I have one mount which I use whenever I'm out farming, and my normal land epic which I use the rest of the time. Since I got my flying mount I've just had it on a button that I have to click because it's more important for me to have my land mount hotkeyed for BGs/Arena. I hate clicking and it's seriously fucking annoying to accidentally use my land mount and then jump off of a mountain because I thought it was my flying one. It's happened a few times and I'm glad no one was around to see it. I figured that there had to be a way either through a macro or script to have one keybind to handle both situations. There is and I figured it out a few days ago. It's so simple that I feel like a retard. Here it is:

/use [flyable] Swift Purple Windrider; Horn of the Swift Timber Wolf

Durrrrrrrr

1 Comments:

Blogger Mike DoubleYou said...

Just shut up and buy a Fang, it took me a day or two but you have no idea what you are missing. You know what, fuck this. Email me your address and I'm going to buy you one. No wait, I know where you live.

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home